The High and Dry Blog
Toronto’s structural clarity in a sea of confusion.
Can You Fix a Basement Leak by Yourself?
February 28, 2018
If your basement is leaking, getting it repaired can be expensive and time consuming. For a temporary fix, you can attempt to repair the problem yourself as long as you have the right tools for the job. However, although fixing it yourself will prevent leakage for the time being, it is recommended that you contact a professional foundation repair company to properly fix the damage. So how can you go about repairing a basement leak yourself? Keep reading to find out!
Although not recommended, if you are attempting to completely waterproof your basement, the following steps will be of assistance.
- Determine the origin of the leak by locating the cracks in the foundation from the outside of the house.
- Excavate down to the footings.
- Clean the wall using a wire brush to prepare it for primer.
- Apply a coat of primer to the wall.
- Using a trowel, insert hydraulic cement into each crack and allow it to set. The cement will expand and seal the crack completely.
- Apply a quick drying primer to the wall, and then apply a rubberized membrane layer. This will ensure that air, moisture, or water cannot penetrate through the walls.
Things to Be Aware Of
Keep in mind however, there are also things to be aware of:
- If you are excavating the soil yourself, there can be a risk of soil cave-ins and serious injury. A cave-in is the detachment of the mass of the soil in the side of the trench. If a cave-in occurs while you are digging, it is expected to last approximately 45 seconds.
- When you are digging, be sure to look out for gas lines, phone lines, internet cables, hydro cables, etc. so you do not cut through them.
- Conduct thorough research before attempting to waterproof the basement yourself. If the job is done incorrectly, you may end up spending more money than anticipated to have it fixed.
If you have any questions about basement waterproofing or require professional waterproofing services, contact GJ MacRae Foundation Repair at Wetbasements.com or at 905-824-2557 today!